Thursday, November 11, 2010

Road Crossing Safety Song

What am I thankful for today?  The fact that I was able to take this picture, which, although not the best photo ever, symbolizes the great gratitude for me -- having my children safe at home!


I am also grateful for the simple song which has been helping my children remember important road crossing procedures:

Stop, look and listen.
Hold a hand to cross the street.
Look left, right, left.
(Safe?)
Then, use your feet.

I adapted this song from one I used to sing years ago with kids at a daycare.  Why?

Well, on Halloween night, just as the kids and I finished our brief, but exciting neighborhood trick-or-treating excursion, one of our children went from standing right next to me on the sidewalk to running across the road just as a car came along.  It was one of those slow-motion, heart-stopping moments as I screamed one child's name while clutching my other two, listening to the oncoming car screech to a halt -- all the while praying and running to protect the child who I thought I might lose...


Praise be to God and all our guardian angels kept us all safe enough to take the above picture during our Autumn Color Walk just days later!  The car missed that child by the merest of distances and I recognized that we needed to review street safety procedures.

We spent the remainder of Halloween night watching kids' road crossing safety videos on you tube and role playing street crossings where we pretended to hear or see cars coming and where we did not.  As a part of these role plays, we sang our Road Crossing Safety Song over and over.


And since?  We have used our song nearly every day and I continue to thank God and our guardian angels each time my children stop, look, listen and take my hand.  It is such a simple, yet vital procedure!


What are you thankful for today?  Do share at Thankful Thursday along with us.  And, please leave a comment below with your own favorite safety songs, games and resources.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that no one was hurt!!! Love the song! By the way I really believe there shouldn't be any driving on the roads during trick or treating time. Can you believe I actually witnessed people driving their children door to door? They were not people who live in our neighborhood, but the whole time I totally felt unsafe. Thank you for sharing.

gemini said...

Wow....beautiful children, in whatever angles you see God in their innocence...thanks for sharing! God bless.

Heather Hart said...

That was so touching. I'm so thankful that everyone was safe.

Alison @ Educational Creations said...

I am loving the new look of your blog! Great post too!!

Mel_Cole said...

So cute kids with cotumes. Truly you are a blessed Mom. God Bless you always.

My Thankful Thursday post here

Deb Chitwood said...

I'm so happy your child didn't get injured that Halloween, Martianne. Thanks so much for sharing your very important reminder and road crossing safety song. I added your link to my Educational Songs post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/10/27/free-educational-songs-for-circle-time/

Kristine said...

I like the lyrics. they are simple and still use the well known Look left,right, left. What tune did you sing this too?

Martianne said...

No tune. I just chant it. If I can figure out video one of these days I will update with a video. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails