Work on Washing and Scrubbing by cleaning:
- 4-5 medium potatoes.
- a few stalks of celery (to equal about one cup, chopped).
- a few carrots (to equal about one cup, chopped).
Then, if old enough, work on Peeling by taking the outside layers off:
- 1 medium onion (to equal about one cup, chopped).
- the carrots that have already been washed.
Then, work on Chopping/Cutting
- the potatoes, celery, carrots and onion mentioned above.
And, now, try some Measuring and Pouring by putting
- about 1 cup of each of the the vegetables mentioned above in a pan along with
- 2 cups of water.
- 2 cups of sharp, white cheddar cheese.
- 2 tablespoons of butter off a stick, which should be gently melted in a pan over low heat.
At this point, revisit Measuring and Pouring while adding Stirring by putting:
- 1/2 cup flour in with the melted butter, stirring it in, before adding
- 2 cups of milk, slowly, stirring all the time to avoid lumps.
If you want at this point, add salt, pepper, cooked meat/seafood, soft vegetables (such as spinach, lefotver broccoli, etc.)
Finally, practice Mixing, by stirring the potato-vegetable-water mix and enjoy!