Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wearing SPD Lenses: New Uses for Your Old Fly Swatter

Whether you are a home educator or a traditional one, here's a challenge that should not only make your lesson times more purposeful and fun, but should also get you looking at common objects and events in new ways.  What is it?

Reach your hands out.  Grab a pair of imaginary glasses – ones that help you envision the world through all seven senses, not just your sense of sight – and put them on!  Got your new SPD lenses on?

Now, look around.  See a fly swatter?  Look at it carefully.  Think...  "How can this help me help the SPD children in my life?"  Think sight, sound, taste, smell, touch, muscles, balance...  Anything coming to mind?

If so, GREAT!  You're now looking at life through SPD lenses.  If not, no worries.  Click here to see my post over at OJTA Sensational Homeschooling where you'll find the old purpose of killing flies revamped through SPD lenses to include:
  • sound and sight fun, studying patterns, color mixing, free expression, etc.
  • a tactile tool for a fun sensory break time
  • a vestibular, visual tracking (and maybe olfactory stimulating) tool for exploring science or math 
  • a proprioceptive tool for exploring English Language Arts or really any subject with with short answer concepts
Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Alysia said...

I hope you don't mind - I loved this post so much that I linked to it in my latest blog post about using SPD lenses to help my son through my mother's wedding weekend. If you want me to "unlink it" let me know. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
Alysia
(here's the blog post:
http://trydefyinggravity.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/going-to-the-chapel/)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails