Sunday, December 30, 2018

Happy Christmas season!


We had a lovely Christmas and pray you did, too.

Now, on this sixth day of Christmas, I had hoped to celebrate the Feast of the Holy Family with food and family time much like we did last year.


Instead, I've been sequestered in my bedroom in an effort to keep a surprise bug that hit me last night from infecting anyone else in our home while I (hopefully) make a quick recovery from it.

So, time together?  Nope.

Feasting together?  Not happening.

Yet, being grateful for the healthy, whole-food smoothies and lemon-ginger tea that my daughter and husband have kindly been bringing me?  Most certainly!

Delighted by my youngest popping in to give me a quick, hearty hug and sweet smile because he is missing me and, later, being silly with a stealth belly crawl to come in to check on me again?  Absolutely!

Giving thanks that my family is enjoying a simple, slow day at home after my husband got everyone out to Mass?  You bet! 

There is testimony in my husband and kids stepping in to prep meals... 

in the aroma of my daughter's baking experiments... 

in the clap of the front door as children go in and out play and to care for our chickens... 

in the cold and soothing hand a child placed on my head when checking on me after coming in... 

in the rhythm of a the sewing machine as a child teaches herself to sew... 

in the groans and cheers of my husband and boys as they watch their favorite football team... 

in the boisterous moments, the purposeful moments, and the quiet moments of my family living life.

Caring. Creativity. Kindness. Love. Relationship.

All are present.

All are blessings.

Today, I give thanks, once again, for my family, and pray that all families model themselves after the love and faith of the Holy Family.


I marvel at the blessing and the responsibility given to my husband and me in our three children, and I pray for the strength and grace to parent them well.

I also pray the Holy Family Prayer as found on at Missionaries of the Holy Family:

JESUS, Son of God and Son of Mary, bless our family. Graciously inspire in us the unity, peace, and mutual love that you found in your own family in the little town of Nazareth. 
MARY, Mother of Jesus and Our Mother, nourish our family with your faith and your love. Keep us close to your Son, Jesus, in all our sorrows and joys. 
JOSEPH, Foster-father to Jesus, guardian and spouse of Mary, keep our family safe from harm. Help us in all times of discouragement or anxiety. 
HOLY FAMILY OF NAZARETH, make our family one with you. Help us to be instruments of peace. Grant that love, strengthened by grace, may prove mightier than all the weaknesses and trials through which our families sometimes pass. May we always have God at the center of our hearts and homes until we are all one family, happy and at peace in our true home with you. Amen.
I pray for your family, too.  On this Feast of the Holy Family, may all families - large or small, together or apart - live with peace, love, and faith, strengthened by grace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails