Sunday, July 4, 2021

A Few Thoughts and Prayers on This Unique (for Us) Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!



This year, my family's 4th of July is a bit different. Instead of being filled with parades, fireworks, and coming together with family and friends, it has been filled with celebrating - and, okay, for me, feeling a bit of mixed emotions about - our youngest child's growling independence.

For, for the first ever, we have dropped our boy off at an overnight camp.


For the next seven nights, we will not see nor hear from our boy in any way. That will be super tough for me. Yet, I am so excited for him.

I never had a chance as a child to go to a sleepaway camp.


I never had an opportunity to be surrounded by people of faith 24 hours a day for seven days, sharing Mass, Rosary, teachings and FUN.


I never knew what it was like to be away from my family, on my own, sailing, fishing, shooting, playing, praying, and getting an incredible taste of independence at a mere eleven years old as my boy will be.

Wow!

He's growing up so fast.

I am grateful to God for the privilege of being his Mom, excited for his opportunity to go to a Catholic boys camp this week, and praying that their is plenty of fun, faith, and fruit involved with his week.

I am also thinking about how full my heart is, but how the joy and excitement I feel for him is tempered with concern and a bit of sweet sadness, too.


It is so hard to let your child go - even if only for a week.


Witnessing a child grow - and giving that child freedom - is not for the feint of heart. Our Lord does this with us every single day. I, as His child, keep growing, keep exercising my freedom. He waits ready to embrace me every time I come near.

Praise be to God!

And happy Independence Day to all.

Please join me in praying for all children who are away from home for any reason this summer and for their families, too.

Dear Lord,

May safety, joy, and hearts for God be everpresent. May our children grow closer to you through their experiences and come home to sleep peacefully again within our grateful gazes after bubbling over with stories of their experiences.



May seeds be planted and faith and gratitude grow. Watch over our beloved children as they continue to grow in independence and in love for you.

Amen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails