Sunday, February 14, 2021

15 Ways to Prepare for the First Few Days of Lent


As Lent nears, I have been praying about how my family may best journey through the season this year. 
  • What forms may our prayer, fasting, and almsgiving take?
  • Which traditions may we continue?
  • What practices we may focus on?
  • Where do we each need to grow?

And, of course, how might we respond to the involuntary penances that will undoubtedly arise as walk the road to Easter.

I am also thinking about practicalities: What do I need to pull down from the attic? Which things do I need to put on the calendar? What will be more free-flow?

In doing so, I made a 15 Things to Remember list for myself and thought I'd share it here in case it inspires you for your families first steps of Lent this year.

1. Lenten Chain: The kids and I sat down to brainstorm ideas for our annual Pray-Fast-Give Lenten Chain, which we will hang up, and, beginning on Wednesday, take off of each day  before praying, fasting, or giving accordingly.

2. Pretzel Prayer Pals:  By Tuesday night, I need to get shopping so I can pick up some pretzels for us to make pretzel bags to give to our chosen Lenten Prayer Pals.

3. Pray-Fast-Give Jars: By Tuesday night, I also need to get to our attic to get our Lent bin with our Pray-Fast-Give jars in it. These will go on our table with some seed, which I will pick up when I get the aforementioned pretzels. That way, again this year, we can hold ourselves accountable by slipping seeds - which will eventually "grow" into "Easter sweetness" - into our jars.

4. Special Intention Collection: We no longer Count, Pray, Fast, and Give during Lent, but we still do set out a container for moneys to donate to a special cause. Tuesday night, we'll chat, pray, and decide if we want to pick a cause before Lent begins or begin collecting change and, then, choose a cause as God reveals one to us.

5. Stations of the Cross Sticks: Some years ago, we made Stations of the Cross prayer and Sequencing Sticks. We no longer use them to pray our Stations, but they have become a traditional decoration around here to remind us to go pray the Stations, so I will dig them out of the attic, too.

6. Lenten Resurrection Eggs: Our Lenten Resurrection eggs will also come out of the attic to be placed upon a shelf for Lent as a daily reminder of the season.

7. Picture Books and More
: Although my children are growing and we are not using the library as much these days, I will still put out a basket of picture books, audio books, and longer books. For nostalgia can be strong here, and I would like to facilitate curling up to read a few of our past favorite read alouds during a cozy Lenten evening.

8. Ash Wednesday Mass and Distribution of Ashes
: With all the closings, changes, and hoopla at some churches this year, I was concerned that we would not be able to get to a traditional Ash Wednesday Mass. With thanks to some relatively local friars, though, we will! I am so grateful.

9. My Lenten Prayer
: Again this year, I will encourage each child to keep at least a minimal Lenten journal. As a part of that, I will print out some copies of My Lenten Prayer printable again this year and encourage each child to make at least one special commitment for the season. I will do the same.

10. Lenten Path Countdown
 While I am at it, I will also print out copies of the Lenten Path Countdown sheet we use each year so the children can track their personal Lenten commitments and journey how they see fit.

11. Bury the Alleluia
: My children are outgrowing their desire to spend much time creating Alleluia posters to bury, but tradition and nostalgia hold fast here. Thus, we will spend some time this week making and "burying" simple Alleluia posters that will return on Easter.

12. Stations of the Cross
: We've come a long way since our Babysteps towards Prayerful Weekly Stations of the Cross with Children. Yet, we still have our challenges, including a wayward child who attempts to eschew most things faith-related. Knowing this, I am realistically expecting push back as we enter into six Fridays of including the Stations of the Cross, but I am going to aim for this practice anyway.

13. Abstinence: Although not everyone in our home is over 14 and, therefore, not bound to all Lenten fast and abstinence guidelines, I intend to make meat-free, and, I hope, dairy-free meals only on Fridays again this Lent. Menu planning and shopping lists will be made this week.

14. 
A local chapel is giving a series of Monday night Lenten reflections that I hope to get to throughout Lent. There are also other online "mission" offerings. I'd like to add as many of these into our Lent as life allows and am starting to bookmark links. If you know of good ones, please do share them with me!

15. 12-12 Fasts: Our Maronite Catholic friends fast from 12 to 12 throughout the weekdays of Lent. Although my children are not ready to adopt this practice, I am planning to this year and praying it will be fruitful

I would love to hear what you are doing to prepare for Lent and how you plan to spend the first few days of this penitential season. Please do share in a comment or message. Thank you.

May your Lenten journey bring you closer to Our Lord.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails