Sunday, May 24, 2020

Never Did I Ever Think I'd Be Praying for St. Brigid's Intercession Regarding a Chicken...

Never did I ever think I would be praying for St. Brigid's intercession regarding a chicken...


... and never did I ever think I would sleep on a couch while on chicken watch duty...


Nor did I ever imagine that I would spend an early morning before Mass using a gloved finger to apply oil to a chicken vent...

I also never thought that I would spend hours researching what differing colors and textures of chicken poop mean...

... and the list goes on.

Things that never once entered my brain before have now become a part of my present reality for the love of my children... and their chickens.





Yes, we've had a sometimes emotional, definitely educational, and undeniably unexpected couple of days here nursing one of the kids' chickens back  -we hope! - to health.


In doing so, we have tapped into the kindness and wisdom of local friends, countless websites and Youtube channels, and fellow chicken owners in Facebook groups.

We've also discovered that a saint we have celebrated and prayed to before is patron to chicken farmers! Thus, although we are hardly chicken farmers, I have been praying for St. Brigid's intercession for our dear chicken Pippin.


More than once in the past 24+ hours, I have prayed simple prayers, such as:


St. Brigid, please intercede that me may be guided in taking care of our sick chicken Pippin. For, while this matter is small in the large scheme of the world, my children's love for Pippin is strong. We know our Lord loves us and desires good. We wish to do what is best for our chicken. Whatever happens, please let my daughter and youngest son be at peace. Amen.

Now, yes, yes, yes. I know. With all the dire matters facing the world today, it may seem silly to pray for St. Brigid's intercession due to a sick chicken. Yet, here I have been doing so. For, in small matters and in large, prayer is vital, right?


Adoration. Contrition. Thanksgiving. Petition. Our Lord loves when we turn to Him.

The saints are there as intercessors.

And, so, we pray.

And we share in case you have chickens, too, and - like us - did not know that St. Brigid is, among other things, Patron to Chicken Farmers.

Now you do know and, should your family face time of chicken challenges, you can call upon her intercession.

Likewise, chickens or no chickens, you might also remember just how much Our Mother loves us and desires to help us no matter what we are going through.

I could not help but to think about that as my love for my children (and their love for their chickens) prompted us to do things over the past few days that we never imagined we would.


Love can drive us to do so many things. May one of them be turning to Our Lady in prayer.

We took a break from chicken care to do just that as a group today, praying for weightier matters, and it was wonderful.

Whatever your challenges and joys are, may you keep on praying!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails