Thursday, September 1, 2011

Seeking Simplicity in Turning Curriculum Plans to Practice

Okay, Jack’s infant-toddler "curriculum", ideas for actually implementing it and thoughts about how I intend to assess it have been easy to lay out.  Listing possibilities for Luke and Nina's Pre-K and K curriculum was not difficult either.  But, now that I am thinking about how to actually house, present  and assess Luke and Nina's curriculum, I realize that I must not be praying enough.

Why?

Because every time I begin to feel settled about a definite direction to take for turning my plans into practice something disrupts my peace. 

A thought had.  A resource browsed.  A blog post read.  A cluttered room entered.  All these cause my mind to begin to reel anew.

The problem?

TOO MUCH INFORMATION! (...and, too much "stuff".)

Good information (and "stuff"), albeit, but too much all the same. 

Chaos and complication crowd my mind, my home and even my computer.  I slog through it all seeking something that my past few years of over-zealously collecting thoughts, digital resources and piles of materials impedes: Simplicity!

Ah, simplicity.

Just the word brings a smile to both my lips and my heart.  It speaks of an obvious truth:  Learning is not, and should not, be complicated. 

So why do I keep complicating it?

I don’t know.  But, I do know that it’s time I stop.  It's time to breathe.  It's time to rest in one of my personal home education mantras, "Learning happens anyway."  Moreover, it's very much time to PRAY!   

I guess it also time to take stock of the confines of our family’s time, budget and physical space (as opposed to the aforementioned dizzying plethora of thoughts, resources and materials).  Then, I can better embrace freedom within those limits!  Freedom with simplicity.  Simplicity that comes with peace born out of prayer.

Check back within a week and - God-willing- I should have a simple, freeing action-plan laid out.

In the meantime, I wonder:  Do other parents get lost in physical or mental clutter?  Do they fall into the trap of over-complicating ideas and systems at this time of year?  How can we help ourselves stop this?  Might we just plan a little less and pray a little more?  Makes sense to do so, but sometimes it's hard to let go and let God, huh?  I am trying.


And, one more thing:  Have you heard of  That Resource Site?  If not, you might want to click on over.  For, even though I have expressed my need to STOP collecting resources today, this is one site I will definitely keep combing for fantastic, simple, straightforward and helpful ideas.  Check it out.  And, if you go today, note their giveaway, where they are offering a set of 95 printed weekly activity sheets -- great for keeping kids organized (and mamas!)  Now, that's what I am talking about!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails