Sunday, May 16, 2021

Are You in the Habit of Daily Spiritual Reading?



Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

It's no secret that I've been reading, rereading and thinking about the book Counsels of Perfection for Christian Mothers lately.

It's just such a gem - and even better because - as I shared here -  it's available to everyone despite budgets or preferred "reading" style.

One of the first practical tips it gives is to use "spiritual reading as a first means of becoming fervent."

It goes on to explain that "all reading which enlightens the mind and determines the will to do good" can be included in this category of reading and then reminds us that "there is hardly one among you who cannot spend a quarter of an hour each day in spiritual reading"

That's the truth!

Yet, I know I, for one, had been letting distraction, poor priorities, and busyness of life prevent me from tapping into the edification daily spiritual reading can bring until I read these different passages in the book:

Do you engage in spiritual reading every day?" I have asked; and they have responded: "No! I have not time." Well, for mothers of families who toil from morning till night to gain a livelihood, this reason is acceptable; but when it is alleged as an excuse for the laziness and inertia of those who squander a considerable amount of time in useless babbling, in long and purposeless visits, and in reading the daily papers, this excuse is intolerable. How many are there among you, my daughters, who cannot reserve at least a quarter of an hour every day for spiritual reading, by omitting all futile occupations, and by economizing their time. There are some, perhaps, but not very many, I know. 
Devote at least a quarter of an hour
every day to pious reading. Let it take the form of a talk, an intimate conversation with God, and I promise that it will not be long before you will witness a happy change in your lives. 
In short, spiritual reading, if methodically practiced, will effect a complete transformation in your lives.  
Left to yourselves, you will always revolve in the same plane, think the same thoughts, and perhaps never find a new habiliment in which to dress them. Therefore, you must frequently renew your wardrobe of ideas. Some one must whisper new sentiments into your ears each day. Now spiritual reading can render you this service.


Sure. I often read spiritual things - but had fallen away from doing so daily. So, when I read the passages above, and then read that "the success of our struggle against nature is always the measure of our progress towards perfection," I heard the Spirit speaking loudly to me:

"Commit to daily reading again, dear. Do it now. Do it daily!"

I listened.

I committed to
prioritizing a habit of focused daily spiritual reading and have been holding myself accountable by actually using a timer and not allowing myself many distractions until it goes off each day.

Of course, as a mom, some distractions are inevitable, though, so, when they come, I either remind my children that I need x amount of minutes to finish what I am doing or, when needed turn my timer off, take care of pressing matters, then reset my timer and begin a new 15 minutes of spiritual reading.

Doing so has helped me solidify a daily spiritual reading habit again - even if I did miss one or two days since committing to this, and, then, on subsequent days, dusted off my "failed" fallen self, set a timer for 30 minutes, and to got reading again.

It has been a blessing! I encourage you to tap into this blessing, too.

I also would LOVE to hear what your favorite not too heavy, but still edifying and inspirational saint books and spiritual reading titles have been. Please do share them with me in a comment here, on Facebook, or in person. Thank you!

Some that the book recommended were:

May we each take that quarter an hour or more each day to immerse ourselves in the blessing of spiritual reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails