Sunday, February 21, 2021

A Real Look at Our Lenten Journey Thus Far...


Last week, I shared 15 Ways to Prepare for Lent with Kids. Today, I thought I would offer an honest look at which of those steps we actually took this past week.

Why?

Because plans and reality are often different, and I never want to be one of those folks that gives a skewed vision. Life is real here - with ins, outs, ups, downs, plans that don't come to fruition, and, yet, still, blessings. So many blessings.

So, here goes with a real look at how the week's Lenten plans unfolded...


1. Lenten Chain: None of the kids were into actually making our Pray-Fast-Give Lenten Chain this year even though some of them wanted to have it up. So I simply printed out the list we had pulled teeth for brainstormed. I then colored the backs of the print out backs purple, cut the list into strips, assembled, and put up the chain myself, wondering why I was even bothering.

The Lord answered quickly when one of my children eagerly ran to the chain to take one down, and since, two of my children have been taking turns taking a link each day, while all three of the kids and I have been pausing to pray, fast, and give accordingly, albeit sometimes with the need for some extra "encouragement" to prompt participation.



2. Pretzel Prayer Pals:  Life surely is what happens while you are making other plans, and as such, we did not get our pretzel bags to give to chosen Lenten Prayer Pals together by Wednesday, and, so far, only one child has actually gifted a bag to a friend.


Sadly, one of my children participated in making the bags only with "encouragement", because said child "does not really believe in praying much anymore, Mom." It hurts this Momma's heart to have a child who has strayed so far from believing in God and living our faith. I welcome prayers for this child's reversion.


3. Pray-Fast-Give Jars: Our Pray-Fast-Give jars  did not get out of our attic until Wednesday, but were updated for this year, and
 are in an accessible space.


It makes my heart smile that one child was pleased to see these out again and also encourages me when some of my children quietly go and drop a seed into one more more the jars. 


4. Special Intention Collection: One of my children specifically asked for a this tradition again this year, but we have yet to get together to pray, and decide which cause we'll collect for this year. Guess I know what will be part of this week's agenda for together time with the kids.


5. Stations of the Cross Sticks: I got our Stations of the Cross prayer and Sequencing Sticks Wednesday and put them out as simple decor.


6. Lenten Resurrection Eggs: Our Lenten Resurrection eggs did come out and get put up.

7. Picture Books and More
: Some of our books got put in our basket and one child has read a few, but our evening read together time has been unrelated, so far.


8. Ash Wednesday Mass and Distribution of Ashes: We gratefully were able to drive about half hour to get to Ash Wednesday Mass and confession.


9. My Lenten Prayer/Sins and Virtues:
We had a goo chat about Capital Sins and Capital Virtues using a free pdf Examination of Conscience from the Fathers of Mercy, and, then, after some reflection, chose our personal Lent practices, which we recorded on individual copies of My Lenten Prayer printables.


10. Lenten Path Countdown: While finally beginning to listen to The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz) episodes, we colored our Lenten Path Countdown sheets and some of us are now using out colored sheets to track our Lenten journeys.

11. Bury the Alleluia
: We have yet to get to creating Alleluia posters to bury, but may yet create some when listening to more Bible in a Year episodes, which is something we are trying to make a habit of this Lent.

12. Stations of the Cross
: B
ecause there was no local church we could go to for Stations, one of the children picked a Youtube Stations of the Cross for us to do.

13. Abstinence: We are going quite light on meat and dairy overall this Lent and I am asking everyone, no matter the age, to observe abstinence on Fridays.

14. Missions: 
I may not be able to get to the local chapel that is giving a series of Monday night Lenten reflections afterall, but I hear they will be posting a recording on Facebook. Yay!

15. 12-12 Fasts: So far, so good for me with joining in the tradition of our Maronite Catholic friends who fast from 12 to 12 throughout the weekdays of Lent. .

So, some "hits", some "misses", some challenges, many blessings. Little ideal. All real. And all a part of the journey.

I pray however your Lenten journey has begun, it brings you closer to Our Lord.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails