Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Easy-to-Use Online Science! {A Supercharged Science Review}

Are you looking for an easy-to-use online science curriculum that encourages real-life, hands-on learning as well and covers a broad range of topics for children at a K-12 level?


Then, the e-Science Homeschool Science Curriculum by Supercharged Science would be great for you and your family!

We were blessed with a one-year subscription for review, which my oldest - a 13-year-old - has been using regularly, and which I am excited to jump into more with my younger two children in the months to come.


Much of the review which follows was drafted or narrated by my 13-year-old directly, since he has been our primary user 
e-Science Homeschool Science Curriculum so far.

What follows is a review largely drafted and narrated by my son, since he is the one who used this helpful science program the most so far in our home.



What is Supercharged Scie
nce?





Supercharged Science is an online science curriculum created by
 Aurora Lipper, a former NASA scientist and mechanical engineer, who was disheartened by the lack of a basic science foundation and excitement for all things “science” among her students, and so created this program so that children would not be bored out of their minds and would actually learn important science concepts and have fun.





It has a large archive of short teaching videos, experiments (demonstrated on video), printables and more which take you through a broad spectrum of science subjects, such as physics, biology, astrophysics, chemistry, electronics, and more.


You can
study these by grade level - pre-K/K through Grade 8, and then Advanced Topics for high school - or by topic unit, of which there are 20.


Either way, you learn science at your own pace in an interesting way.
Why and How Did I Use Supercharged Science? When my mother asked me if I wanted to do Supercharged Science, I said, "yes", because I have decided that I want to begin high school early and thought this would be a good way to see if I am ready to do so.


My mom agreed that I could try any Supercharged Science Advanced Topic as an independent study. I chose the Physics, because it was the first thing there. To use the program, I just had to open a video, grab my notebook and a pencil, and do the work. Aurora talked on the videos and wrote things out while I took notes. She taught me about velocity, vectors, scalers, acceleration, and more so far.


She also presented experiments which look easy, fun, and not to expensive. You can understood the concepts of the experiments just by watching them, but it is great to do some, too, which I do when I can. Here are some pictures my brother took of me as he was helping me with an experiment on acceleration. (Mom says, ignore the mess all around.)




To do the experiment, I drew a line on the driveway, put the ball on the line, and held my foot there to keep it there.
I started the stopwatch and let the ball go at the same time and stopped it at one second, marked it, and kept doing it, increasing by one second each time.

What should have happened is that the farther down the hill it got, the longer the distance should have been between seconds. This didn't happen though. I think it is because of the shape of my driveway. In my experiment, each second went about the same distance. So, I would probably need to retry it with a surface that has a more angled, not curvy decline than my driveway.
Do I Recommend Supercharged Science? I have told my mom that Supercharged Science is the science I want to use through next year to earn some of my high school credits. I like that it is easy to use, has a good order to it, and can take me through entire course without my mom. I suggest this product for those of all ages who need to learn science and especially for kids like me who want to learn independently.



My mom said she also thinks the program is good and will be using it with my brother and sister. There are many fun experiments and hands-on activities for all ages within Supercharged Science. See some of them in the other Crew Reviews.
Now back to Mom: As a Mom, I know my son. He is taking the rigor of the Physics program as easily as he can right now...



...taking shoddy, messy notes...



...and not truly diving as deeply into things as he could and will need to for high school credits. This is NOT because of the program - which has everything you'd need and more for a high school physics class (including some math help videos,...) It is because he is only 13 and has not dealt with something with this kind of rigor yet. So, he is taking things s-l-o-w-l-y, working for a brief 10-20 minute period several times a week "because that's how long the videos are, Mom."



I have explained to him that he will also need to get better about keeping his science notebook, writing out labs, reading included text, etc. - not to mention spend more time in a sitting or dedicate more sittings - if he wants to finish the course in a year. He understands that now and still wants to proceed - without me, of course. 

I am all for having him try.

Aurora makes a wonderful virtual teacher, presenting things clearly and offering everything needed to help students succeed. Between Aurora's enthusiasm for science as seen in the videos, her clear teaching, the text, handy supply lists, experiments, and everything else in e-Science Homeschool Science Curriculum truly is a great offering for homeschoolers who wish to have students study on their own or for ones that like to work together with parents and kids. Kinesthetic learners, visual learners, and audio learners are all "spoken to" and the program is one I would recommend.

Read all the reviews.


You can also connect on social media:


FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | YOUTUBE


Crew Disclaimer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails