Sunday, May 26, 2019

Pray for Your Child's Vocation and Possible Future Spouse


This morning, as my family walked into Mass, we discovered one of the scheduled altar servers had not shown up. Thus, one of my boys quickly went to the sacristy to prepare to serve.

As soon as I laid eyes on him dressed in an alb, a spontaneous prayer began in my head. It went something like this:
Lord, if my son is meant to be a priest, please let him hear his call clearly and pursue it well.  Lord, also, please equip me to best guide, support, and love him in whatever future vocation he is mean to live.
Religious life, married life, life as a single person. Whatever you will for my son, may it be so. 
And, Lord, if my son has a vocation to marriage, please be working in the heart and mind of his future spouse. Please be preparing her specifically for him so that they may both fully love one another and love you well. Let her be growing in relationship to you and in ways that will bloom in relationship with him. Likewise, prepare him to be a worthy husband to her.
Lord, I pray also for the possible future spouses of my daughter and of my youngest son.  If my children are called to the vocation of marriage, please be with their spouses now, giving them grace and helping them grow. Please prepare their spouses' hearts for them and theirs for their spouses.  Please direct them to their spouses in a timely way, not letting them stray in mistaken relationships. 
Of course, Lord, if marriage is not your will for any of my children, that is more than okay. Whatever you call is, I pray they hear it clearly and follow it well. Please give them the virtue, strength, and wisdom to live as priests, religious, single people, or married people - whatever is your will.

Whatever vocation you desire of my children, please work in their hearts, in mine, and, if they are to be married, in the hearts of their spouses, now so that your will may unfold beautifully.
Thank you for every grace and blessing. Amen.

A Weekly Prayer Peg for My Child's Vocation - and Possible Future Spouse

The prayer I prayed this morning was a bit verbose - just pouring forth as I looked at my son and then up to stained glass widows of Jesus on the cross and Mama Mary next to him.

Other weeks, my prayer is briefer, but, always, when I pray for my children's vocations - and for their possible future spouses - it is heartfelt.

You see, years ago, I felt prompted to pray for the potential future spouse of my eldest son, and, then, for that of my daughter and my youngest son, i, I should pray for their spouses every day.

Truth be told, though, I think a lot of things, but am not always the best at turning thoughts into action.

So, all too many days, such prayers went unprayed until one Sunday, I realized that when my boys are serving on the altar, I often find myself praying that, if they are meant to be priests, they will clearly hear God's call. Then, I thought, And, if they are not meant to be priests but are meant to be married, please be preparing their wives' hearts. And, at this moment, corollary clarity struck: Mama, you are meant to pray for your children - whatever their vocations may be - and, feel called to pray for their future spouses, too. So, what better time than "pegged" to Sunday Mass - and, sometimes, daily Mass?

So, it was a personal "prayer peg" formed.

Each Sunday, I pray simply, Lord, please be preparing my children for their vocation and help me to do so, too.  If they are to be married, please be working in the hearts and lives of their spouses now to prepare them for their future marriage. Or, something akin to that.  

Some weeks, I pray but a sentence or two. Other weeks, mental paragraphs of prayer pour forth. All weeks, I am grateful that God placed it on my heart to pray for this specific intention for my children, and, if they are to be married, for their future spouses.

Should marriage be their vocation, I look forward to welcoming their future spouses into our family and to smile, knowing God prompted me to pray for them before I even knew them.

God is good. All the time. Whatever vocation He has planned for my children will be, too.

The same goes for your children.


Do you, too, pray regularly for your child's future spouse or for your child to clearly hear a call to religious or single life? 

Do you pray that you be given the grace to be able to do your part in helping your child transition into whatever vocation is God's will? 

If so, have "pegged" such prayers to a specific time? 

Do you pray spontaneously for such intentions as I do, or do you use a specific pre-written prayer, Bible verse, or prayer "formula"?  

I would love to hear about it.


What's a Prayer Peg?


If you are new here or have not caught my prior Prayer Pegs posts, let me explain that as a busy, distractable Mom, I am not always good at listening to St. Paul's exhortation from 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to "pray without ceasing."

Thus, I have come to establish a number of "prayer pegs" for myself and my children as a way of building "Holy Habits" for us which will
flow naturally, seamlessly, and rhythmically within our lives. 

These "prayer pegs" are simply acts of blessing, praise, thanksgiving, petition, and intercession that we've attached to specific activities in order to form intentional habits of unceasing prayer.  For just like one can purposefully peg laundry to a line, we can attach a distinct form of prayer to a regular part of our lives.

What prayer pegs work for you and yours at other times during your days and weeks? Do share! 


And may your child and my own children continue to grow in relationship to God and in virtue, wisdom, and stature, so that they might clearly hear their calls to vocation and, then, live their vocations well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails