Sunday, March 10, 2013

Windows Open

Two weeks ago, I was reminded of the old adage, "When God closes a door, He opens a window."

source
As is so often the case, I was unable to fully participate in Mass due to the challenges of my young children.   Yes, the opportunity for focused grace eluded me yet again that Sunday as I responded to (and sometimes attempted to ignore) my busy, observant, motor-driven children who were wiggling; offering commentary on what they heard and saw around them; rolling coins along the crease between the seat of the pew and the back of the pew; craning their necks to gaze at stained glass windows...

And, that is where the window opened.  With a stained glass window.

My oldest, Luke, asked me who was depicted on the window.  I was not sure.  So, I whispered to him that after Mass we could ask Father just as we had done on a different week at a different church in our parish collaborative.  My son held me to that.

After the final hymn, we went to greet Father at the door of the church and to ask him Luke's question.  Of course, other parishioners wanted to greet Father, too, so, my husband Mike took our youngest child Jack to the car while I reminded Luke and Nina of the importance of patience.

Before too long, Father was able to offer us his full attention.  Recalling that he had recently explained another stained glass window to us, I apologized to Father for asking for his time again and joked that I should just take a photo of every stained glass window so I could email him questions when Luke had them.  Father wisely told me there was no need for that and suggested that Luke's questions give him an opportunity to build a relationship where there was none before.

Yes!  The truth of Father's words sunk in as Father walked with the children and me over to the window in question and answered Luke's question.

Father asked to be reminded of Nina's name and, then, explained the symbolism on the window to both Luke and Nina.  True to form, Luke's eyes and attention wandered as soon as his initial question has been answered satisfactorily, and went on to ask father what the "black things" were that he noticed our parish Music Director taking down after Mass.  (The numbers of the hymns.)  Father was happy to explain.

And, so it was, that Luke and his sister, who have such difficulty meeting Jesus through the celebration of Mass still received love and grace that Sunday morning.

"Let the little children come to me..." Jesus said.  

"And, Mom, stop worrying about the door to "right behavior" seeming to close on another Sunday Mass," He told my heart that morning.  "There are always windows."

Thank you, Father, for letting my children come to you with their questions and for helping me re-frame my own thoughts.

Thank you, Jesus, for continually reminding me of the importance of relationships.

What doors and windows have been opening in your faith journey and that of your children's lately?
 

(If you receive this post via email and cannot see the linky, be sure to actually click over to the blog to read browse the rich catalog of ideas there.)



1 comment:

Kim said...

You are SUCH a GOOD mom. I can't wait to see what more the Father has for you. Every lesson learned for you, is a reminder for me- so thank YOU for sharing. And yes, Thank you Father indeed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails