Sunday, June 23, 2019

A Snippet of Fatherhood

Image may contain: 3 people, including Martianne Stanger, people smiling, child, outdoor, water and nature

"Come in, the water's fine." they said. 

"You'll be okay. It will hold you," they continued. 

But, the water was cold and the kayak's weight limit not quite fitting for Daddy. Still, he listened to the begging of his kiddoes, braved himself for cold and possible sinking, and paddled - with gleeful kids - until the craft was sinking and the kids had to push him - just as gleefully - into shore.

Why?

Because of love. 

Love for his children that makes him willing to do uncomfortable things to bring them joy and meet their needs.

Love from his children, which makes them clamber for loads of Daddy time and to relish so many moments when he chooses to be present with them on their terms.

Love between the children and him that has taught so many lessons: 

  • It never hurts to ask. 
  • Helping is a wonderful thing. 
  • Shared experiences mean so much. 
  • You never know what will happen, but you do know we can respond to it. 
  • Love is a choice worth making.

and more.

The love that God put in each of our hearts is meant to be shared and multiplies when it is. I see that so often as I witness my husband and children interact.

I am grateful for the love, commitment, and dedication that my husband shows. I am thankful that his love for his children always stays afloat even when his craft - literal or figurative - fails to.

I am also grateful for my own father who was always an example of love - hard love and fuzzy love, depending on the day and for my father-in-law who loves us dearly and who we love ever so much back.

Moreover, I am grateful for the many men throughout my life - my godfather, spiritual fathers, and more - who chose and continue to choose love.

Father's Day may have passed, but, really, every day is a father's day - an opportunity for every person who plays a fatherly role to extended the love of our Father in Heaven to others, for the fruit of His love passed on through his children to grow each and every day.

Some say, love is not an emotion, but a choice.

To my husband, thank you for making the choice to 
love for our children and for your commitment to our family. 

To all fathers everywhere, thank you for making the choice to love.

May your day filled with the fruit of your choice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails