Sunday, February 16, 2014

Easy-Peasy Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, Casein-Free Sunday Breakfast and Feast Day Recipe

You went out first thing to shovel out so hubs could pull his car in when he gets home from a night shift.  It's Sunday morning and the kids are hungry.  You don't want to give them more processed food.  You ant to enjoy a Sunday meal before Mass.  What do you whip up?

You've been out having a family sabbath morning, just got home and need to turn around to get to a feast day celebration with friends.  You are low on groceries, but want to bring something yummy to share.  What do you make?

If you're me, you make "Candlemas Crepes", a recipe we made up at the beginning of this month.

 Candlemas Crepes

These were made in minutes after I shoveled this morning and, thus, are not the prettiest blog-worthy crepes ever, but they are quick, tasty and healthy!

To Make

Blend together:
  • 2 bananas
  • 6 eggs
  • 1-2 teaspoons of real vanilla, depending on how much you like it (or none at all if you don't)
  • 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite spices (We use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves)
Spoon onto a hot, greased griddle.  (We use coconut oil or ghee on our griddle.)

Cook on one side until bubble form on the top.  Flip.  (We make them small so they are easy to flip.)

To Eat

Eat as is hot off the griddle.  (My children always ask for a "taster" as soon as the first set come off the griddle.)

Sprinkle or pour your favorite sweetener on top.  (We like them with raw honey, real maple syrup or, on special occasions, coconut  palm sugar, on top.)

Offer defrosted berries, fresh berries, sliced fruit or other sides along with them.

Why We Call Them Candlemas Crepes



On the first Sunday of this month, friends invited us to celebrate Candlemas with them.  When I looked up what foods are traditionally associated with Candlemas, I discovered crepes are.

Back when we were a gluten-full family, I was never good at making crepes.  However, since crepes are essentially eggy, thin pancakes, and since we make things like that all the time now, I figured I could whip up something crepe-like to bring to the party.

I recalled seeing a paleo bread recipe that called for eggs and plantains.  With this in mind, I figured eggs and bananas could make a good crepe.  Luke, however, has a mental aversion to crepes, so I knew I had to "hide" the banana flavor.  Thus, I added generous portions of vanilla and spices. 

I topped the finished crepes with organic coconut palm sugar since it was a feast day and the kids could not get enough of them.  And, so, the recipe was born and named.

Do you have a go-to recipe that you use for family Sunday breakfasts or feast days?

http://traininghappyhearts.blogspot.com/search/label/Training%20Happy%20Hearts%20in%20Young%20Children

Remember:  I have moved the link-up to pinterest for now.  If you leave a comment with a link to a post related to training up children in the faith, I will add it to the board.

 
 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails