Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hum A Little: A Simple Strategy for Homemaking and Creating a More Misson-Minded Environment

Too often in the recent years I have caught myself resonating busyness, frustration and exhaustion instead of joy.  This does not bode well for maintaining a happy home environment. It also acts against our mission to S.M.I.L.E and does not align well with our homeschooling Rule of Seven.  So, I decided to do something about it:

HUM!

Through the years, I have known a number of people who express their peace, joy and cheerful moods through singing quietly to themselves. In doing so, these hummers seem to create a more comfortable, secure and cheerful environment around them.  So, despite never being much of a hummer myself, I thought I would give it a go.

It works!

When I catch myself feeling less than enthused about a chore at hand, I consciously choose to hum.  When I feel content, I try to express it with “a joyful noise”.  When I am trying to slow myself down, I set the pace with a quietly sung song.  When I am on the verge of yelling – if I think before teetering right off the brink – I take a deep breath and hum.  And, do you know what?  It. Is. Good.  Not just for me, but for my children and the overall environment of our home.

Through outwardly (albeit quietly) singing, I can feel myself embodying contentedness more.  I can see that happiness reflected in my children.  I can understand how the simple strategy of humming – with the breath, beat and all else in entails – is a solid on.

Nina's clean-up time coming can turn into full-blown "sit down everyone" shows...
Plus, I can smile in amusement as my 20-month old dances to the simple tunes I come up with.  I can listen with pleasure as my four-year-old models me, humming and singing her own soundtrack to the day.  And, I can breathe in relief as my six-year-old, who sometimes goes into sensory overload when recorded music is added to the rest of the input he coming at him in a given moment, becomes more tolerant of music in the background (and the forefront!) of  our daily life, even joining in song with me at times.

Who knew that simply parting your lips with a tune could provide such a catalyst for contentment?

Historically, many folks, I guess.  More recently, my children and me!

Do you hum, too?  Or, have you found other ways to express and engender joy in your environment?




Sharing at We Are THAT Family's WFMW.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am not a great hummer! but music is definitely a huge thing for me ... I used to clean to this great Portuguese tape I had, now it is loud Christian rock.

Your son would not appreciate it!

see you soon
Karen

Amber said...

Good idea! Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails