Sunday, December 6, 2020

Secretly Gift a St. Nicholas Basket {An Advent Tradition}

Happy St. Nicholas Day!


I pray you and yours had a lovely feast day.

Here, along with waking to goodies in shoes, reading "virtue letters" from St. Nicholas, and going to Mass, my children and I made time for a long-time family tradition: gifting a neighbor with a St. Nicholas basket!


If you're looking for a fun idea for encouraging secret service and neighborhood cheer, St. Nicholas neighborhood baskets are an easy and enjoyable way to do it!


We first heard about the idea six years ago when I was researching ideas for a St. Nicholas Sensing the Saints Playdate

Since then, each year, we cut out paper snowflakes...



... fill a real basket...


...or a homemade paper one...


...with goodies...


... print out The Story of St. Nicholas from the St Nicholas Center website and walk to a neighbor's house...


... to secretly spread St. Nicholas' story.


Some years, we have been delighted to see snowflakes popping up on other doorways in our neighborhood. 


Other years, we are just happy to gift some happiness to whatever family we drop a basket to whether they share forward or not. All years, we enjoy spreading some secret cheer close to home.

Perhaps you and yours will enjoy this tradition, too.

However you choose to spend your St. Nicholas Day, we pray is blessed with love and service.


Saint Nicholas, you were a kind and generous man and a special friend of children. I pray that I may always show my gratitude to people who are good to me. May I return their kindness with love and may I never hesitate to share their care with others. Amen.  

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails