Sunday, January 20, 2019

Why Do My Children Believe and Trust

Tonight, during a frightening moment, I directed my children, "Pray."

Then, I began praying a decade of the Rosary aloud with my children before lowering my voice and pausing to whisper, "Keep praying silently." 

We all did. 

The situation passed.

We all breathed and gave thanks.

My thanks was manifold.

I was grateful for our safety, for my trust in God, and for my children's faith, too.  I was also thankful that the children and I can lean into prayer.


As I thought about that, I wondered, What makes my children believe and trust?  Of all my efforts to teach my children our faith, what speaks most to them?

So, I asked them.

My youngest immediately said:

Going to Mass! 
Reading faith books! 
Eating meals on saint days! 
I learn through a lot, but these are my favorites.

My other children chimed in, mentioning other things, such as Holy Heroes, Saint Days, the books we read during Advent and Lent, and more.

Then, I realized that, really, there is one main way my children are learning: grace! 

Yep. God's grace. 

No matter what I do or don't do, it is through God's grace that my children (and I!) are growing in faith and trust.

To God be the glory!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails