Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Growing in Giving


There are times when you wonder why God ever gave you the children He did because you feel like you’re doing such a poor job raising them.  The children's behavior is challenging and you cannot help but to wonder if your parenting is at the root of it all.

Then, there are times when you realize that less-than-stellar behaviors that your children are exhibiting may be only because they are sick, tired, or both.  At these times, you your babies close, thankful for the opportunity to care for them no matter what kind of day you've all had.


And, thankfully, there are many more times when you praise God for doing whatever He is doing in (and through!) you and your kids to spread His Light in this world.  Times when you see evidence of your children's growth and feel confident in your own willingness let God guide you in guiding your children.

Last night, as two of my children lay sick for the third night in a row, and one exhausted, I sat in the quiet reflecting on such things and smiling with thanksgiving at just how many of moments in recent weeks have been knitted together with gratitude and giving.

Like a cozy blanket, the memories wrapped me in warmth:

Nina digging into her Give envelope and pulling out coins to help Luke get something he wants at a museum gift shop...

Each of the children using the little Spend money they have, plus their imaginations, to come up with gifts for each person in our family for Christmas.


Nina and Luke not having enough money in their Spend envelopes to ride a carousel with Jack, but realizing that if they share some of their Give money with each other, they can make up differences and enjoy a ride together.  Then, Luke standing in line to purchase the tickets to they can do just that.

The children taking turns offering each other the last coveted end piece of toast...

Nina laying on the couch, too sick to go to Mass, asking me if we can watch Mass online with me instead.  Then, when I am heading off to church, Nina calling out, “Mommy, take a quarter from my give envelope and give it at church,”  despite the fact that she doesn’t have much more than twenty-five cents left in her Give envelope...


Luke, seeing how much is in the baby bottle of normal change we are donating at our church, asking me if he can have his Give envelope, and, then, taking a dollar bill out of it to put in the bottle...

Nina asking to talk to our priest after church and then handing him a dime – a portion of her Give money that I did not even know she had held all through Mass to hand as a gift to our priest...

Jack generously helping his siblings and me with tasks...


Nina writing a letter to leave Santa's elves a gift since they always make gifts to give to others but may not receive any themselves...

The smile on each of the children’s faces countless times over the past weeks as they offer their moneys, time and service to others, and, the smile in my own heart as I cannot help but to notice consistent evidence that my children ARE growing in wisdom and stature, every single day (even on the days when there are plenty of challenging moments, too!)

Indeed, this morning as I reflect on all this again, I am smiling.  I am ever so thankful for the gift that God has given me in and through each of my children.  I am grateful for the gift he gave us all in His child and the guidance He offers us in the Word.

Growing in giving truly is magnificent, isn’t it? 

How will you continue to encourage hearts of giving in your home in 2014?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Copied from an email I received in response to this post so others can benefit from the ideas :) love this piece. I think it is grand that your little ones share their natural gifts of talents. I hope everyone feels better and make sure you take care of yourself too. When moms go down everything seems to stop. I think you could include making homemade cards for family members too. A simple card goes along way to spread cheer. When we made cards I would write the words on a board so they could find them or if it was a special religious nature there would be a color page with the prayers attached so they could cut an assemble their projects. A classroom full of children meant a great many words and in the end we made probably over 100 cards for all the extensive families members. I have learned that dollar stores have an collection of stickers and stamps and gift wrapping paper are suitable for card art work. We have made Easter egg shapes out of spring paper, Christmas trees out of winter type paper using the trace around the cookie cutter method. What I found out was that if we had broken popup book all sorts of new features would show up too. I would watch the children as we carefully took the book apart and then we copied the folding methods. People who are in nursing homes greatly appreciate the arrival of kid cards. Thanks again for sharing. take care and stay warm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails